A spicy vegetarian dish that is both quick and delicious!
Make it tonight for a filling, plant-base meal.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 1 can (28 fl oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat and sauté cumin seeds for about 1 minute.
- Add onion, ginger, curry powder and garam masala, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Using spatula, scrape bottom of pan to get all cooking juices. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with basmati rice, naan bread or dosa and a side salad. Garnish with cilantro.
Make it even spicier by adding red pepper flakes.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in the Canadian Diabetes Association’s 2014 Healthy Living Calendar.