Cheesy shepherd's pie
- 1 lb (500g) lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1 14-oz (398 mL) can tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb (1kg) potatoes, peeled and halved
- ¼ cup (60 mL) skim milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soft margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (60 mL)
- Prepare the filling: cook the ground beef and onion in a large non-stick* pan over medium heat until browned, stirring to break up beef. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and mash together with the milk and margarine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Stir the peas into the beef mixture. Spoon into a 1½-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish. Cover with the mashed potatoes. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with the cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts. Serve hot.
*Use a non-stick pan to cook the ground beef so you won't need to add any oil. Pour off any excess fat when the meat is cooked.
Replace some of the potato with carrots and parsnips for a variation of the topping. Simply boil, then mash altogether.
This recipe made available with permission by Key Porter Books Ltd. Copyright © 1995 by The British Diabetic Association. The Everyday Diabetes Cookbook.