These make a tasty and healthy snack, or they can be tossed onto soups or green salads to add some crunch.
- 2 cans (14 oz./398 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- ½ cup (125 mL) hulled pumpkin seeds
- Grated zest from 1 medium lime
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, canola oil, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Toss until well coated. Spread mixture on a large baking sheet in single layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until beginning to brown. Stir every 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, stir, and bake for 5 minutes more or until chickpeas are crispy. Be careful that they do not burn.
- Remove from oven and toss with lime zest. Let stand on a baking sheet for 30 to 45 minutes for crisp texture and best flavours. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
Replacing high glycemic index (GI) foods and snacks, such as rice cakes, with low GI foods, such as chickpeas, can help to control blood sugars, cholesterol and appetite.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in Diabetes Canada’s 2018 Healthy Living Calendar.