Fennel offers a sweet and mellow flavour that complements the apples beautifully in this easy breakfast or brunch dish.
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced fresh fennel (use both the white and green stalks)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided, plus extra to oil the quiche pan
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
- 1 apple, unpeeled, coarsely grated
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated low-fat Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss diced fennel in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the canola oil and season with ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of canola oil. Sauté onion for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Add milk and continue to whisk. Add ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) pepper.
- Add roasted fennel, onions, grated apple, and cheese to eggs and stir to combine. Transfer to an oiled 9-in. (22-cm) round, deep-dish pie pan or quiche pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in Diabetes Canada’s 2018 Healthy Living Calendar.