A simple, yet richly flavoured dish.
Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cloves
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces/398 mL) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cooking sherry
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- chopped cilantro, optional garnish
- In large saucepan with lid, heat canola oil to medium. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, cloves and thyme. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes (and their liquid) and sherry. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with pepper and garnish with cilantro, if using. Serve.
Make lentils a regular part of your meals for quality protein and a good source of fibre.
Try this recipe with different vegetables such as cauliflower or bell peppers, celery or broccoli.
Recipe courtesy of www.CanolaInfo.org