A delicious one-pot dish
This is a quick, easy and healthy version of the traditional East Indian dish!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cup (400 mL) basmati rice
- 1 lb (500 g) chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 minutes to bring out flavours.
- Stirring constantly, add rice, chicken, yogurt, tomato and broth; cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed. Remove from stove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in the Canadian Diabetes Association’s 2014 Healthy Living Calendar.