Get energized with this power bowl!
Made with kale, beets, carrots, rice and chickpeas, this bowl is full of vegetables, grains, protein, and healthy fats. The dressing also makes for a great dip!
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked barley or brown rice
- 6 cups (1.5 L) fresh kale leaves or spinach, stems removed
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh beets, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, grated
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) almonds, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) natural, unsalted peanut butter or tahini
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) canola oil
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce, cider vinegar, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Blend in peanut butter. Gradually whisk in canola oil until dressing is combined. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: in six individual bowls, evenly top the cooked barley or rice with kale or spinach, beets, carrots, chickpeas, and almonds. Drizzle each salad with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of dressing to serve.
Make this power bowl ahead of time, and pack it for lunch! Simply add the dressing just before eating.
Any leftover dressing can be refrigerated and used later for another salad, quinoa, veggie sticks, grilled fish, or chicken.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in Diabetes Canada’s 2018 Healthy Living Calendar.