This is a great appetizer to take to your next get-together.
Serve with fresh vegetable sticks or baked tortilla chips.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (19 oz./540 mL) white navy beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp (2 mL) minced chipotle chile pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chopped red pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- Heat canola oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until transparent. Add beans, chipotle chile pepper, cumin, oregano and red pepper. Heat 4 minutes.
- Mash beans with potato masher or back of wooden spoon. Add vegetable stock as needed to desired consistency. Add cilantro and tomato. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in the Canadian Diabetes Association’s 2015 Healthy Living Calendar.