Having diabetes doesn't mean you can't have a treat occasionally!
Part cookie and part muffin, these soft cookies contain walnuts and ground flaxseed that provide fibre and healthy fats.
- ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (175 mL) whole-wheat or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup (175 mL) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely grated carrots, packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together canola oil, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, toss together flour, oats, flaxseed, walnuts, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients and carrots to the wet ingredients and stir well by hand to combine.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized portions and place on a cookie sheet, about 2 in. (5 cm) apart. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in Diabetes Canada’s 2018 Healthy Living Calendar.